Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Layton's Region Finals

Layton, my 14yr old son, competed at his region finals this week.  You know it is an interesting thing a dad has to do.  You work and work to work yourself out of a job.  Since Layton went to his first rodeo I have been there to help him saddle, check his calves, make sure his ropes are tied on… all while trying to help him learn to do those things for himself.  Then one day you look up and they don’t need your help anymore or at least not to the same degree.  Layton has learned how to get himself and his horse ready to compete.  He is starting to know how to focus on and prepare for each event without ol’ dad’s help.  So, I found myself during the finals one part proud and one part sad.  Proud not because he won a ton at the finals but proud because he was doing what men do.  Sad not because he was growing up but sad because he didn’t need me. 
            This got me to thinking about the Father.  God helps us to our feet, He lifts us out of the miry clay and sets us on level ground knowing we may need Him again but not for that.  Still the Father keeps picking us up and setting us free.  Trusting us to take the next step and trusting His love will keep us coming back to Him.  He never clutches, He is never clingy or smothering, He simply helps us up and releases us to be who He has called us to be. 
            Later that day, I had a moment when Layton came back by me, not because he needed anything, but because he wanted me to be a part of his victory and that was really cool.  I think the Father must like that pretty well too.

Sign up for Champions Rodeo Camp

No comments:

Post a Comment