Thursday, November 11, 2010

Drew Horner's first post

I just got home from the USTRC finals about a week ago.  It went well.  I didn’t win anything in the open preliminary.  My first partner Dustin Davis and I were long on our first one.  I missed the second steer in the second arena.  Allen Bach and I didn’t do so well either.  I didn’t really give him the best handle on our first one.  I roped next in the 15 preliminary with two young kids that rope really well for how old they are.  Kolby Miller and I ended up going out on our second steer.  Brady Norman and I came back High Call in the short round of the 15 prelim and I missed.  This was devastating to me.  At this point I reminded myself to maintain focus since I had more steers to run that day.  Next I roped in the 15 shootout with the same two kids.  Kolby and I ended up going out on our fourth steer, and Brady and I made the short round again.  This time we came back second call back.  We had to be 8.4.  I was definitely not going to let this one get away from me.  I stayed aggressive and kept my focus, knowing that I can do my job.  Brady heels him and we ended up being 7.09 on that steer to win the shootout.  So, that Saturday, was full of ups and downs, all the way from the open preliminary, to the 15 shootout short round, my emotions felt like they were on a rollercoaster. 
To this point my entire roping career has been about overcoming failures and looking towards the future.  I love competition, and I love to win.  There is no doubt in my mind that I am a winner.  I know that God created me to be a winner, and losing is just an opportunity for me to learn how to win the next time.  In Philipians 3: 13- 14, Paul writes, “Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it, but one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God had called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”  This verse has helped me to stay focused on the next rodeo, or next steer, no matter what happened at the previous one.  Keeping my view always in check helps me to focus on learning from the past, getting the job done that is in the present, and to work towards my goals in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment